Questions and Answers

Question and Answer List

Q1. What are the benefits of ‘Club Membership Only’ ?
A1. This is the minimum membership to buy Vegan Runners kit, helping to raise awareness of veganism. In non-licensed events such as park runs, the runner can be part of the team with the club name listed in results. Some running businesses give discounts to members of clubs on production of a membership card. The membership fees are one of the lowest offered by running clubs. Members are put in contact with local VRUK groups / contacts, most have a Facebook group. Members can decide later to upgrade their VRUK membership to include UKA / EA registration via the club.

Q2. What are the limitations of ‘Club Membership Only’?
A2. The member is not recognised as ‘First Claim’ for Vegan Runners UK when entering licensed events, the member has to pay the full price and will be listed as an ‘Unattached Runner’ or no club name will be quoted for the member in any published list. The member’s position will not be included in any team results. Some businesses do not accept a member’s club number for discount purposes.

Q3. What are the benefits of ‘England Athletics Registration’? [For members in Scotland , Wales and Northern Ireland go to Q9 & Q10.]
A3. When entering licensed events, by quoting your allocated 7-digit UKA/EA registration number, the member is given a £2 or £3 discount. The member is listed as a Vegan Runner in results and will help form a team depending on the numbers of members and minimum size for a team result. Your UKA / EA card can be used in The Sweatshop to obtain discounts on shoes and clothing. The member can enter club events that are open to EA registered members such as cross country championships and leagues. Logging onto your EA account you will see other discounts available from businesses. Depending on the options chosen on your EA account, you can receive the latest information on running services provided by EA, tickets for international events, etc. You can setup a Vegan Runners account on the website Run Britain where results from your registered events will be recorded and see results of other Vegan Runners.

Q4. My membership category is ‘Club Membership Only’ but I want to register with England Athletics. What do I need to do?
A4. If you have not previously been registered with England Athletics, we can immediately register you on receipt of the current EA fee. Send a confirmation e-mail to the club that you wish to become EA registered for Vegan Runners UK. Timing is also crucial if you join in the Autumn say, your first registration payment will only last until 31 March next year. Depending on the number of registered events you wish to enter in the next few months, it may be worth waiting until January to obtain 14-15 months of registration i.e. your registration will be carried forward on 1 April, the start of the new year. If you wish to go ahead now, pay the club using your normal payment option otherwise if the member agrees, the club will wait until January to register you.

Q5. What is a 2nd Claim Member?
A5. It relates to England Athletics registration, the member is already registered to run for another registered club.

Q6. I have previously been registered with England Athletics, what do I need to do?
A6. Log on to your EA account that will still exist using and it will gives details of your previous / currents clubs. Select the option ‘Club Transfer’ to start the process of switching 1st claim clubs i.e. your default club for licensed events. There will be a £10 administration fee payable to EA if you have been registered in the last few years. Your previous club may need to approve your release and transfer which is done on-line via your account. Once EA has received your completed transfer request and if necessary the £10 fee, your application will be considered on the 10th day of the month and if successful, you will be transferred to Vegan Runners on the 1st day of the following month. You can then begin entering events for Vegan Runners UK as your 1st claim club.

Q7. I am currently a member of a registered club, when should I apply for a transfer to Vegan Runners UK?
A7. It depends on timing and when you wish to enter events for VRUK. Later in the year it may be best to wait until after 10 February for a transfer on 1 April. When you are ready to proceed with the transfer, logon to your EA account select ‘Club Transfer’ and follow the instructions. The administration fee of £10 will also be payable to England Athletics otherwise your registration fee paid via your current club will be carried forward to VRUK so you will only need to pay again after 1 April or when the new year begins.

Q8.I would like to continue to represent my local club where they have a team but occasionally run for Vegan Runners. Is that possible?
A8. In non-registered events like Parkruns you can select ‘Vegan Runners’ in your profile and similarly for non-licensed events enter ‘Vegan Runners’ if it asks for a team or club. In licensed events where your club is not entering a team, you can potentially wear the Vegan Runners kit although results will list you as running for your local registered club.

Q9. I do not live in England and would prefer to register for Vegan Runners with my home country (Wales / Scotland / Northern Ireland).
A9. Unfortunately as explained in the 2nd paragraph VRUK can only register with one UK nation and it is currently England where our address is registered. We suggest that you contact the relevant Athletics governing body where you are based for options, explaining that you are a member of Vegan Runners UK registered with EA. For Wales based runners visit , for Scotland visit and Northern Ireland visit . If you wish to enter championship events you will be required to register with your home nation as an individual but still be able to run for Vegan Runners in other events. Other benefits for EA members also apply in other home nations.

Q10. If I live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, can I still register with England Athletics? Do I receive the same benefits as England based members?
A10. All UK home nations governing bodies use the same registration system so, with the exception of championship races, you can use your 7-digit registration number to enter UKA licensed events. In a normal road race if the entry form refers to your WA, SA or NIA registration number, your EA allocated number should be acceptable. You should therefore be able to run for Vegan Runners as an individual and if there are sufficient members, part of a Vegan Runners team.

Q11. I do not live in the UK and do not have a British passport. What do you suggest is the best option for membership?
A11. Choose membership category ‘Club Membership Only’ as UKA / EA registration is only relevant to UKA based events however if you intend to compete in a number of British events, you can potentially be registered as a foreign athlete and run for the Vegan Runners team. If you are just running in your home country, you can join as a ‘Club Member Only’, order vegan runners clothing and wear it in events in your country. The easiest payment option is by Paypal in British currency ‘Pound Sterling’.

Q12. I am a British passport holder living outside the UK. Can I register with England Athletics?
A12. If you are going to be visiting the UK for some events, you could also register with EA.

Q13. I live and work in the UK but I am not a UK passport holder? What are my options for membership?
A13. You can register with Vegan Runners as a foreign athlete costing £10 that we forward to England Athletics and you receive the same benefits as British runners otherwise select category ‘Club Membership Only’.

Membership Rates

Adult (not including affiliation to England Athletics) £6
Adult (including affiliation to England Athletics, £6 + £15) £21
Concession (not including affiliation to England Athletics) £4
Concession (including affiliation to England Athletics, £4 + £15) £19
Household Membership: (£9 + £15 per EA Affiliation) from £9