- Organisation : fine, picked up number & chip the day before, start a bit late, but no complaints from me as I was in the loo at the time!
- Marshalls: fearlessly getting us through the traffic, well done guys
- Feed/drinks tables: water, sports drink, coke, bananas, mars bars (sadly not vegan), sweeties (Haribo? Nuff said!), reasonably frequent: also, at one point there were some portaloos on course (unusual for such a small marathon)
- swag: great: nice hessian bag for the goodie bag, tech tshirt, lovely medal, SIS gel & drink powder (both vegan)
- course: really beautiful, Sussex in spring + historic Battle… but hilly… harder than Cotswolds, I thought…PB material? Not.A.Chance….
We went round Battle and then there was an out-and-back stretch which you did twice. Bizarrely I seem to like this sort of thing, it can only be a matter of time before I end up doing track marathons… You do get to see pretty much everyone this way which is v. sociable.
- support: pretty good for a small country race which started before 9am … and I have to say, none of the traditional zombie-supporter you get where they stand slackjawed at the side of the road waiting for “their” runner and ignoring the other thousand or so, everyone got clapped
Anna was guiding a fellow 100-club runner, Paul, who (running with an old acquaintance of Peter S’s) I’d overtaken 2 weeks before @ Cotswolds. I overtook him and Anna this time – I think he might go out too fast! – but a spell in the aforementioned portaloos meant they (and Cheryl, who I met en route) were both ahead of me at the finish.
- go back to carrying my own sports drink (I can see why Anna does now)
- no curry the night before, however lightly spiced, stick to a very bland stirfry
- immodium instants are rubbish, go back to generic loperamide if poss.
- go slower at the start (yes even slower) and walk up the hills more earlier
- MORE HILL TRAINING
But the upside was, I thought I could have done it again after I’d finished… didn’t really want to but felt I could have… so feeling confident I do have a chance of at least finishing the big C.